Just a little bit of blarney for you on this holiday
St. Patrick’s Day Trivia
1)Which Irish islands give their names to a type of woolly jumper? Aran Isles.
2) Which city stands where the Belfast Lough and River Lagan meet? Belfast.
3) Which city’s name translates from Irish Gaelic into English as ‘dark pool’? Dublin.
4) Which John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara film was shot in County Mayo? The Quiet Man.
5) What is a bodhran? A drum, shaped similarly to a tambourine.
6) By which other name is Dublin’s Ha’penny Bridge also known? The Liffey Bridge.
7) Which city is also named ‘the city of the tribes’? Galway.
8) What would you pour on top of an Irish coffee? Cream.
9) What was the Gaelic name for the Fairy Folk’s eternal home? Tir na Nog.
10) By which other names were the Fairy Folk also called? The Gentlefolk, the Shining Ones, the Tuatha de Danaan, the Little People, the Lords and Ladies.
11) What are the Twelve Bens? Mountains.
12) Which Irish saint is said to have visited America 1000 years before Columbus? Saint Brendan.
13) What does the circle at the very center of a Celtic cross represent? The sun.
14) Before lamb was used, what meat did an Irish stew traditionally contain? Goat.
15) Kissing the Blarney Stone is believed to confer what? The gift of the gab.
St. Patrick’s Day Jokes
- What do you get when you cross poison ivy with a four-leaf clover? A rash of good luck.
- Why can’t you borrow money from a leprechaun? Because they’re always a little short.
- Why don’t you iron 4-Leaf clovers? Because you don’t want to press your luck.
- Knock Knock Who’s there? Irish! Irish Who? Irish you a happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- How can you tell if an Irishman is having a good time? He’s Dublin over with laughter!
- What do you get when you cross a pillowcase with a stone? A sham rock
- Why do people wear shamrocks on St. Patrick’s Day? Regular rocks are too heavy.
- How does every Irish joke start? By looking over your shoulder.
- How did the Irish Jig get started? Too much to drink and not enough restrooms!
- What do you call an Irishman who knows how to control his woman? A bachelor.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day my dear readers! And to my Irish-German Dad in heaven, “Happy Birthday, I Love You”