Advanced Skin Science
“You’re already beautiful. Our job is to preserve that.”
I have this odd affliction where I find myself constantly seeking true innovators in the “inclusive” celebrity beauty/grooming category. And I found him! Let me introduce you to one of Khloe Kardashian’s beauty gurus, West Hollywood’s Montgomery Nicholas — founder of Magari, a premium unisex skin care line that’s using the best of science and nature. They believe in prevention when it comes to beauty, and this serum is all about preserving and enhancing what you already have–your skin’s inherent beauty.
Photo by Caroline Soares
What the fuss is all about
Magari’s Liquid Youthis so very rich in moisture-binding/ anti-aging ingredients like hyaluronic acid, fatty acids, marine extracts, resveratrol and PCA. This complex combines potent antioxidants like Vitamin C, E, biotin, and is boosted with peptides to help stimulate collagen production. Micronutrients help enhance skin tone and neutralize impurities while humectants provide hydration.
Magari’s Liquid Youth has many benefits:
-Evens out complexion
-Increases collagen/elastin synthesis
-Inhibits the formation of wrinkles and lessen the appearance of deep expression lines
-This elixir firms and re-plumps the skin restoring its youthful glow
Photo by John Johnson
The Powerhouse of Magari’s Main Ingredients
- NaPca– This ingredient is one of the major components of our skins’ natural moisturizing factors. Our skin naturally contains PCA, but as we age these levels drop quite considerably. In the world of skincare, it is considered an important humectant, this is due to the fact that it is extremely water absorbent and can hold several times its weight in water, thus helping to reduce loss of moisture.
- Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract– Native to the cold Antarctic Ocean, Pseudoalteromonas is a genus of marine bacteria with many different species. In 1988, a new species named Pseudoalteromonas Antarctica was isolated from mud samples collected from the inlet Admiralty Bay, on King George Island, Antarctica. During growth, this species of bacteria produces an exopolymer of glycoproteins believed to help the bacteria retain water, adhere to surfaces, and withstand the extreme cold. Its protective function in nature has been applied in beauty products to regenerate and protect the skin.In skin care products, Pseudoalteromonas ferment extract promotes skin regeneration by stimulating keratinocyte growth and fibroblast adhesion. In vitro testing found that this extract could increase the production of collagen and elastin, which results in wrinkle reduction. In vivo testing revealed that Pseudoalteromonas ferment extract could increase skin hydration in cold weather and also decrease the depth of wrinkles around the eyes. I like that very much! Lastly, Pseudoalteromonas ferment extract is said to be ideal for oily and combination skin because in can reduce excess sebum (oil) production, leading to less shininess and, at the same time, smaller pores.
Photo by Jose Alfonso Sierra
- Resveratrol -Skin inflammation contributes to physical signs of aging. Resveratrol also upregulates collagen IV, which over time promotes elasticity and produces a micro-lifting of the skin. In a 28-day trial using pichia/resveratrol ferment, participants reported a noticeable improvement in fine lines and skin toneresearchers have found a way to make it more potent by fermenting it. They’ve used a microorganism called Pichia pastoris in this process, which feeds on the resveratrol and metabolizes it completely. The resulting byproduct is both anti-inflammatory and helps to stimulate collagen production.
- Citrus Aurantium Dulcis– better known as the orange, is packed with alpha hydroxy acids to stimulate collagen and elastin synthesis (stimulates new skin cell growth) and minimizes damage caused by the sun. The fruit extract and oil comes from the flesh of the orange and exhibits remarkable exfoliating properties, smoothing fine lines, replenishing moisture in the skin, and increases the thickness of the epidermis. Orange fruit extract is a natural anti-aging ingredient(increases collagen production, smoothens the appearance of fine lines, brightens skin and impedes the development of wrinkles).It has even demonstrated significant effects on keratinization.
- Peptides– Applying natural peptides for skin topically may increase your body’s production of peptides for skin. While collagen molecules are too large to penetrate the skin, peptides are small enough to penetrate the skin, [and] when applied topically, they signal the skin to repair itself.” In response to these signals, your skin boosts its production of collagen peptides.
- Hyaluronic Acid– (Sodium hyaluronate)has a smaller molecular size as HA (making it especially penetrative), and is able to hold more water than any other natural substance—up to 1,000 times its weight in water! Thanks to these to attributes, when applied topically to the skin it can reach deep down into the dermis to combine with, maintain and attract water. It also promotes skin/blood microcirculation and nutrient absorption, and helps maintain normal metabolism.Thanks to its super-sized hydrating properties, sodium hyaluronate will result in smoother, softer skin with decreased wrinkles and an all-around fuller appearance.
- Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (green tea)– topical application of green tea leaves or extracts have many benefits for skin, including anti-aging The polyphenols in green tea possess potent antioxidant and skin-soothing properties, and show significant promise for improving the appearance of sun-damaged skin.
Magari Liquid Youth Full Ingredients List
Sodium PCA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Lactate, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, PCA, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Proline, Threonin, Isoleucine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Glycerin, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Propanediol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Pseudoalteromas Ferment Extract, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Hydrolized Soy Protein, Tripeptide 0- 10 Citrulline, Tripeptide – 1. Lecithin, Butylene Glycol, Xanathan Gum, Carbomer, Pichia/Resveratrol Ferment Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Simmondsia Chensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citric Acid, Triethanolamine, Potassium Sorbet, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol.
One of the main ingredients in Magari are Napca which are components already found in our bodies. It is our natural moisturizing factor that deplete as we age. Tell me about the serum.
A face serum targets specific skin concerns like Liquid Youth does, namely addressing wrinkles, fine lines, dullness, dryness and anti-aging.
How long did it take you to produce?
Magari took 7 years to perfect, I wanted to make sure I was giving my absolute best
3. What were some of the challenges in creating Magari?
Some of the challenges in creating Magari were finding the right name to fit my vision/brand, and finding the right Lab to mass produce my custom formulas with only the best ingredients.
4. What’s next?
We have some exciting things coming. Our next venture is to product our Youthful Eye Elixir, its a phenomenal eye cream that really delivers. Our vision is to expand Magari into a whole startingline.
5. I love that it is a genderless all-inclusive line What are your thoughts on the future of the skincare industry and why did you launch with this product?
“We live in a world that loves to categorize and put things into boxes, constantly separating everything. This is a way to market niche products to maximize profits and, in skincare, it’s done by feminizing packaging and scents for women and creating masculine scented skincare and packaging for men. At Magari our ideology is simple — create powerhouse products through ingredient pairing technologies and tested results. Our designs are sexy and luxurious, while having no gender, or bias when it comes to our approach to scent and design. We wanted to create a brand that transcends time and brings out the inherent beauty we all have.”
“Magari strives to create an inclusive brand that gives everyone results regardless of gender, age or skin color. We want the future of skincare to be an elevated luxurious experience for all that declutters that 15 step routine to just a few core powerhouse products that truly deliver results, and look sexy on the counter while doing it.”
What is the inspiration behind Magari?
My line was born out of the desire to enhance, preserve and restore the natural beauty of those I love and treasure most, and it was fitting to call it “Magari,” which in Italian means “I wish or I desire,” Magaribrings that desire for great skin and makes it a reality… it’s where desires and reality collide,” said Montgomery.
“Aging is a fact of life but looking your age doesn’t have to be.”
About the founder, Montgomery Nicholas
“Magari started years ago with my fascination for the delicate nature of skin – while it is the largest organ of our bodies, it is often the most difficult to care for,” says Nicholas. “This dilemma drove me to search the internet and books for remedies and ‘cures’, opening my eyes to the fascinating world of skin care and science. I learned which amino acids pair best together in order to enhance their respective properties; I discovered the different forms and combinations of vitamins and their skincare values; I ascertained the optimal molecular size for deep dermal skin penetration of each ingredient – and this all became the foundation upon which Magari is now built. “
As I ordered raw ingredients and made my own masks, lotions, and serums, my friends and family would say, “Make something that fixes my crows feet” or, “Make something that fixes skin texture”, which eventually spiraled into requests for products that hydrate, replump, regenerate, heal…the list continued to grow. As I carefully mixed and formulated these products using the extensive knowledge I’d acquired, I realized that I’d essentially already begun to create my own skincare line. These products not only cured my troubled skin, but also catered to common skin concerns such as restoration, health, and aging reversal. My entire line began with a desire to enhance, preserve, and restore the natural beauty of those whom I love and treasure dearly; this love spurred me to create Magari.
Over 7 years in the making, Magari welcomes you to eternal youth.
What is your mission?
To preserve, enhance, and restore your beauty and confidence through extraordinary products. Allowing you to show the world your true self, with maximum impact.
You’re already beautiful… our job is to preserve that.
I love that you’re an inclusive brand, tell me more about that?
Equality, diversity and inclusion is the heart of Magari. Our love for everyone is one of the most important core values we have. Everyone is beautiful and everyone is equal. We take pride in the diversity that makes up Magari and are stronger for it.
We are committed to ensuring our workplace is fair and equal. We take pride in each and everyone’s unique multifaceted qualities that make us so beautifully different but are bound by the same commonality of self-acceptance, self-love, and that we are all beautifully made.
At Magari, we call all our customers family and we truly mean that. On all our purchases we have a welcome to the family greeting. Everyone is welcome and everyone is valued. We want all our customers (family) to feel like they belong to something bigger, something that accepts them for exactly who they are, and that all of our unique differences when appreciated, valued, loved, and heard make us a one amazing family.
Seven years in the making, the concept for Magari was born while Montgomery was still in college, studying entrepreneurship. Montgomery, a former nationally ranked athlete, had always been passionate about fitness and health, which naturally extends to skin, the body’s largest organ. He found himself increasingly fascinated by the science of skin care, the best ingredients available, and the synergies between them.
Montgomery synthesized all the information he could acquire – from books, the internet, dermatologists, and one on one conversations with estheticians whom he visited regularly for facials. He began ordering raw ingredients which he would use to create his own masks, lotions and serums. Often, a dear friend or family member’s request for a specific solution drove his experiments. The resulting products proved successful in addressing common skin care needs such as hydration, firming, restoration, retexturizing and more. Montgomery eventually moved to West Hollywood where he met his future husband, Noah Wright, who encouraged him to turn his idea and business plan for Magari into a reality!
“My line was born out of the desire to enhance, preserve and restore the natural beauty of those I love and treasure most, and it was fitting to call it “Magari,” which in Italian means “I wish or I desire,” Magari brings that desire for great skin and makes it a reality… it’s where desires and reality collide,” said Montgomery. “Aging is a fact of life but looking your age doesn’t have to be.”
Magari Liquid Youth. $60.00. Luxury Black Obsidian Roller. $32.00
This is not an oil-based serum. Rather, it’s fresh and soothing with peptides that help stimulate your collagen production. Simply spray some on a cotton ball and wipe it across your face. You can also spray it on your face directly, and use a roller to help it sink into your skin. Revitalizing and nurturing at the same time, Magari holds promise of what is yet to come with their Liquid Youth, your fountain of youth in a bottle.
Thank you for reading this edition of The Badass Writer, sponsored by Magari. This product review contains my own opinions.
Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a thing and share this post on social media! In doing so, you’ll be entered to win books, skin care and make up with Sugar-the-Westie of our Badass Fun & Games Department. We have so much more to share with you so do stick around for more on beauty, books, lifestyle and travel. Next up, is the K-beauty brand Aloisia, where we are featuring an in-depth review for you.
See you next week!